Casa Grande Union High School Parents/Guardians,
This letter is being sent to notify you of the new Attendance Policy changes and summarize what the policy states. Beginning January 4th, 2022 (First day of Second Semester) a new attendance policy will be implemented by the Casa Grande Union High School District. The goal of this policy is to encourage and promote school attendance to better prepare our students for success in college and the workforce.
How this new policy impacts your student(s):
- Students with unexcused absences will now receive a “U” code in their PowerSchool when marked absent.
- An “AT” code will signify your student arrived in class 10, or more, minutes late.
- An absence will be excused if a parent or guardian notifies that school within 48 hours of the absence occurring. The reason for the absence must be given. Examples are:
o Personal illness (we understand these occurrences might not be given 48 hours in advance)
o Doctors Appointment (we encourage families to make these appointments before or after school hours.)
o Serious Family Illness
o Death in the family or of a close friend
o Religious holiday
- Lunch Detention is a consequence for students with 3 – 5 unexcused absences in any class.
- After School Detention from 3:15 – 5:30 or In School Detention is a consequence for students with 3 – 9 unexcused absences in any class.
- Passes for students to be dismissed during the school day will not be issued during the following times:
o Lunch Periods (11:40 – 12:10 and 12:40 – 1:10)
o 35 minutes before the end of the school day
o After 1 p.m. during Early Release Days
o Any exams (unit, semester, district, state, or national)
o Pep assemblies
- Students who are unexcused absent 9 or more times in any class will receive an NC (No Credit) label in their PowerSchool signifying the student has lost credit in the class, no matter what the grade is.
Thank for reviewing and making sure your student understands these changes as they are effective on January 4, 2022. Please contact the school with any questions.
Casa Grande Union High School