Special Education Services Mission: To create individualized programs that allow each student to acquire new knowledge and develop skills necessary to be successful after high school.
Welcome to the Special Education Services Department. We are dedicated to developing and implementing exceptional programs for all areas within Casa Grande Union High and Vista Grande High. Our team strives to support students, parents, and teachers to make great things happen for all. Thank you for visiting this site; we encourage you to come back often. Your feedback is encouraged.
Special Education services and programs of the Casa Grande Union High School District shall emerge from the general educational program to meet the instructional and environmental needs of our exceptional children. An exceptional student is defined as any student who, because of an identified disability, requires specially designed instruction in order to receive a free, appropriate public education.
CGUHSD provides a continuum of services to students, along with a variety of service delivery options. Teams must always begin program planning with the belief and expectation that students receive services in the general education setting. Data is used to identify if a student needs more intensive instruction as teams review options along the continuum of the least restrictive environment. A variety of options are considered as teams review reasonable accommodations and/or modifications, supplementary aids and services, and/or assistive technology in general education classes. In addition, related services are available, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, transportation, and counseling, if the IEP Team determines any to be appropriate. The removal of students with disabilities from the general educational environment will only occur when the nature or severity of the disability is such that education in general education classes or in a building with non-disabled students, with the use of Special Education services, cannot be achieved satisfactorily. The District may contract, as necessary, for the education of students with disabilities in approved public or private agencies when the needs of the student cannot be met within the district.
It is the policy of the Casa Grande Union High School District that students with disabilities:
- Will be located and identified.
- Will have comprehensive evaluation services which define both needs and strengths.
- Will have Individual Education Programs designed to meet their specific needs.
- Will be offered special help based on the individual education program in the Least Restrictive Environment possible, and as close as possible to the student’s home school.
- Will have any potentially harmful effects considered prior to placement for Special Education services.
- Will be educated to the maximum extent possible with non-disabled peers.
- Will have their programs reviewed at least annually.
- Will be re-evaluated or considered for re-evaluation at least every three years.